Pages

Sunday 16 October 2016

Sara Fanelli - Found Collage









Sara Fanelli uses a mix of collage and simple ink drawings to create her illustrations which gives an often naive look that children can engage with easily. I looked at 'Pinnochio' [1], the traditional story which she illustrated recently, and took inspiration from her style of simple shapes to create my own creatures.

 


Task 1: Use Fanelli's technique of photographed and photocopied eyes to create a simple collaged image of a strange person or creature. You can include simple brush drawings in ink.

I dislike Fanelli's style and do not find it visually appealing because of its harsh shapes and irregular spacing. I do like the use of textures in children's books so I have used these in this task and made a few examples of creatures from printed paper and photocopied eye photographs. The shapes came quite organically from the half-cut, recycled paper which I found in the studio. From these I created much softer looking creatures with rounded features which contrasts to Fanelli's use of sharp shapes. When I was a child, I know I liked soft and round images which is what I have created here. These creatures seem far less threatening and more friendly.



References
[1] Fanelli 2001

Bibliography

Amazon. 2016. Pinocchio. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Pinocchio-Carlo-Collodi/0744586321. [Accessed 9 December 2016].

Sara Fanelli. 2016. Homepage. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.sarafanelli.com/docs/portfolio/20.html. [Accessed 9 December 2016].

No comments:

Post a Comment