Pages

Sunday 6 November 2016

Editorial - Illustrating for an article


Aude van Ryn [1] creates images which are a mix of collage and painting and often display an abstract environment which incorporates realistic elements too. She uses texture in an understated way which is effective. I particularly like her use of flowing lines and variety of characters. 

We learned about common symbols used in editorial illustration such as handshakes, ladders, puppetry and office buildings, which are all present in van Ryn's work and are often the prominent feature.

Task: Using the given article, create a simple illustration to accompany it.

This was the article I chose (of the three): 'I Lost my Voice for Three and a half Years' [2] and from looking at the common symbol of replacing the figure's head with an object. I chose a tv because we associate it with a constant noise, and then I added the 'mute' symbol to show that this ability has been removed. Also the pose (sat and hunched over) shows a sadness that he cannot communicate with others, which was talked about in the article.


References
[1] van Ryn 
[2] Neff 2015


Bibliography

Heart Artist’s Agents - Artists - Aude Van Ryn - Galleries - Aude Van Ryn 1 . 2016. Heart Artist’s Agents - Artists - Aude Van Ryn - Galleries - Aude Van Ryn 1 . [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.heartagency.com/artist/AudeVanRyn/gallery/1/image/3538. [Accessed 6 November 2016].

The Guardian. 2016. Experience: I lost my voice for three and a half years | Life and style | The Guardian. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/27/experience-i-lost-my-voice-for-three-and-a-half-years. [Accessed 6 November 2016].

No comments:

Post a Comment