Pages

Friday 9 December 2016

Chris Ware - Colour


I looked at Ware's use of limited colour palette and chose this example called 'A Feeling' from 'Building Stories' [1] because it shows two palettes that change with the lighting in the environment. The warm browns he uses are interesting because they have purple in them too, giving a dull appearance. Having muted colours here reflects the narrative of the story as the character has an overwhelming feeling but as the viewer, having an external viewpoint, we do not see her mental anguish - only what she tells us.

Having two palettes works well here as it gives a clear indication of the character's movement from a dark bathroom to a lit bedroom and also provides a change of mood from a cold (blues) atmosphere to a more comfortable one (warm / neutral tones).

I used my raccord piece as a starting point to use colour on. Like Ware, I wanted to show a change in mood and atmosphere so I divided the image into day time with warm colours and evening with cooler blues and greys. I used the same colours as the 'A Feeling' comic, using the eyedropper tool to get precise tones and by doing this, has helped my understanding of Ware's use of colour.

Subtle purples add more depth to the browns which is very different to how I use colour and will be something I can experiment with in the future. I think having this purple that complements the blue in the other palette helps to keep the image cohesive and relates the two areas to each other rather than separating them.



References
[1] Ware 2012


Bibliography

Strudel: Chris Ware. 2016. Strudel: Chris Ware. [ONLINE] Available at: http://milhojasservicioseditoriales.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/chris-ware.html. [Accessed 09 December 2016].

Wikipedia. 2016. Building Stories. [ONLINE] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_Stories. [Accessed 9 December 2016].

No comments:

Post a Comment