Pages

Monday 12 December 2016

Satirical - Caricature


Caricature was very challenging for me as I have difficulty in portraying specific people, they never seem to look like the person they are meant to be. Because of this, I looked at the work of Glen Hanson who creates more graphic, comic book-like caricatures where the facial features are only a little exaggerated. From looking at these images, it was easy to establish what were the defining facial features of each specific person, such as a sharp chin or prominent cheekbones.

From this research, I chose to make my caricature of Donald Trump as his scrunched-up features, saggy neck and orange face were features I could exaggerate.

 Looking back on my image now, I realise it is not as exaggerated as it felt when I was drawing it, however, it is recognisable as Trump which is good. I attempted to make his neck sag over his collar which worked, also his head is larger than it should be but, as this is only a bust portrait, it is not very clear. I made his skin quite orange and added the pale area around his eyes which makes him look like he just got off a tanning bed with the little goggles. Like Hanson, I tried using bright colours to better show the character and it works very well in this case.


Bibliography

Richmond Illustration Inc.. 2016. How to draw caricatures: The 5 Steps. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.tomrichmond.com/2008/02/14/how-to-draw-caricatures-1-the-5-shapes/. [Accessed 12 December 2016].

Glen Hanson. 2016. Caricature. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.glenhanson.com/caricature.php. [Accessed 12 December 2016].

No comments:

Post a Comment