Pages

Sunday 11 December 2016

Sara Fanelli - Lettering


I looked at Fanelli's use of typography and noted that she likes to use different fonts for each word in a sentence and often with embellishments such as bubble-writing, all capital letters or underlining. She sometimes writes and illustrates profound sayings or phrases so I tried this myself.

Song lyrics were easy to use because they were phrases I know well:

'I am going to make it through this year if it kills me.' from 'This Year' [1]  is a very powerful phrase with good emphasis towards the end which I have shown through the enlargement of the type and making it more bold.

'She may contain the urge to run away but hold her down with soggy clothes and breeze-blocks' from 'Breeze-blocks' [2]. I used this lyric as it happened to be what I was listening to at the time and by using a longer phrase, I could try using different fonts for each word. I found this quite difficult and therefore think that using Fanelli's technique works better with shorter phrases (seen in the example).



References
[1] The Mountain Goats 2010
[2] alt-J 2012

Bibliography

Blogger, Gianne Amparo. 2014. A week of doodling. [ONLINE] Available at: http://gianneamparo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/a-week-of-doodling.html. [Accessed 10 December 2016].

Youtube. 2010. The Mountain Goats - This Year. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eetIgGXH6DA. [Accessed 10 December 2016].


Youtube, alt-J. 2012. alt-J (∆) Breezeblocks. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeMiVU77wo. [Accessed 10 December 2016].

No comments:

Post a Comment